I did some sewing for Christmas, as usual. First was a dress for my 6 year old.
I used the Fair & Square dress from Tie Dye Diva again (it's a favourite of mine), but wanted to change it up a little as I've made it maybe 6 times now?!
There was this one, and this, and this...plus a few more I haven't shared, LOL!
So, I added some little capped sleeves. I've described how I did it below if you are interested in trying it yourself!
Really a very simple addition - but I love the way it turned out. In fact, I think this dress is now my favourite of all time.
Some detail pics to show you...
First, the sleeve I added.
I also chose to bind the lower armhole with some spare white faille instead of double folding the edge - just to be different!
Front and back views (very happy I found the perfect matching button!!)
My matchy-matchy seam! I always make this dress now with one centre back seam, rather than two side seams. Only one seam to match up!
Then some action twirls shots from Christmas Day! I love the way this fabric design seems to ripple!
I used my own fabric design, printed on Spoonflower's new Silky Faille - this one here called "Ombre Paper Hearts":
I absolutely love the way it printed. A gorgeous raspberry red with lovely matching lighter and darker tones for the ombre hearts. It is such a wonderful soft, draping fabric - and so nice to the touch. It also has a teeny bit of a sheen in the right light! Plus it washes AMAZINGLY. My daughter wore it to the movies - she came out covered in sticky melted chocolate and icecream. All down the front of it - brown and orange. My heart sank! Not only was I able to spot clean the worst of it off in the cinema bathroom (rubbing with bathroom paper towels!) - when I finally got it into the wash every single thing came out. Awesome!!!
Anyway, for those of you interested...to add the sleeves:
I basically drew an oval that was 7 inches high, by 6 inches wide - then chopped it in half down the longest diameter (so the straight edge was 7 inches long). That was the template. I cut two out of my fabric (one reversed) for each sleeve.
Sewed a half inch seam along the curved side with right sides together. Clipped the curve, turned, and pressed. Gathered the straight edge in by an inch, so it then measured 6 inches...
When the bodice outer and inner have both been completed (i.e. you have sewn the front to back at the shoulders) - and just before you the outer to the inner to complete the bodice - this is where you add the sleeve. Line the gathered raw edge up with the raw armhole edge of one of the bodice pieces, and centre it on the shoulder seam (right sides together). Do this for both sleeves. You will need to tuck the curved edge of the sleeve in so you don't sew over it when you sew the neckline. Place the other bodice piece on top like normal now, and sew away...
I love the added sleeves - and I'm sure I'll do it again someday...soon!
Happy New Year!